Here is a 20 minutes Cajun pasta recipe that will please any spicy taste pallet. Below is the recipe and some tips!
To start this recipe, you want to begin by bringing water to a boil in a large pot. After it’s reached boiling temperature, add the penne pasta to cook until soft. While the pasta is cooking, you can begin heating the sausage and mushrooms, as well as making the Cajun sauce!
To start, slice up the Andouille sausage and add it to a heated medium or large skillet with olive oil. Saute the sausage and add mushrooms in pan for about 5-8 minutes. Then add your seasonings, and heavy cream to begin making the sauce. The heat can be brought down to low in needed so the sausage and cream does not overcook.
After, add the cooked pasta to the skillet with the sauce, sausage, and mushrooms. Mix carefully and let it simmer on low for about 3-5 minutes if desired. You can also mix the ingredients in a large bowl if the pasta is too much for the skillet to hold. Add Mozzarella cheese on top of pasta after all the ingredients have been mixed!
Overall this is a really great recipe and easy to make! If you are not a fan of spicy meals, I suggest not adding the cayenne pepper or at least not as much. I also used spicy Andouille sausage so you can substitute a different type of sausage if the spicy level is too hot.
Let me know how this Cajun pasta turns out below!
Andouille Sausage Cajun Pasta
Spicy Cajun Pasta and Sausage dish that will make you feel the heat!
- 16 oz (1 box) penne pasta
- 6-8 cups of water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 14 oz fully cooked Andouille Sausage, sliced
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms (optional)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- In a large pot, bring about 6-8 cups of water to boil.
- Add pasta and let it boil for about 12-15 minutes or until ready.
- In a large skillet, add 1 tbsp of olive oil and let it heat on the skillet at medium heat.
- Add sausage to skillet cook for about 8 minutes on skillet. Stir while cooking
- Next, add mushrooms if desired or any veggie you might want to add to this recipe. Cook veggies for about 3-4 minutes until sauteed.
- While the sausage and mushrooms are cooking, add onion powder, garlic, chili powder, paprika, chili powder, and cayenne in a small bowl and mix together.
- Add the seasoning mixture to the sausage and mushrooms, mix well. Add second tbsp olive oil.
- Next add heavy cream and mix well with sausage mixture. Turn down to a simmer.
- Add cooked pasta to sausage mixture in skillet and mix it all together. Let the mixture simmer for about 5 minutes with pasta. Add pasta water if mixture seems too dry.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with cheese.